Tuesday 3 July 2007

HANG on, you gotta wait!

I finally received an email response from the original (and only) makers of the Hang but the response wasn't very pleasing, unfortunately. Due to a great number of orders this year, they have stopped taking anymore orders for the rest of the year and I have been told to wait patiently for their personal invitation to go see them. Schade!

Ok if you're wondering what is a Hang? It is a flying saucer-shaped steel drum and each indentation on its surface gives a different note. The sound is simply soothing and magical and that is why I really want to have it! I first saw it played on a street in Amsterdam and the second time was at Gaudi Park in Barcelona. After talking to the player in Barcelona, I found out it is a real difficult process to acquire one.

There is only 1 maker of the Hang in the world and they live in Bern, Switzerland. Hang means human hand in the Bernese language and it is hand crafted and tuned individually. To buy one (which costs about 600euros), one has to email the makers (PanArt) and wait for them to arrange a personal meeting with you in Bern. The Hang is personally made according to the players' note specification. I really dun know how many Hang players are there today in the world, maybe about a 100, since they


only started making it recently. I think if I actually get my hands on a Hang, I would be the only Asian player. That'd be pretty cool huh? haha. Unfortunately, I got to wait and I don't think I can afford travelling to Switzerland any soon after this exchange. Check this site out if you're interested to know what it sounds like: http://www.hangdrum.com/index_en.php







Hang player in Gaudi Park, Barcelona

No comments: